What’s up Live Lean Nation, last week I shared with you the “Perfect Refrigerator” filled with healthy low sugar foods. Why do I focus on low sugar foods? On this episode of Live Lean TV, I want to talk about why sugar makes us fat. Yep, many people don’t understand this, but when you look at a nutrition label that says “0 grams of fat”, don’t be fooled. Even if there’s no dietary fat in that food, it doesn’t mean you can’t get fat by eating it! If you’re floored by this statement, you my friend are focusing on the wrong thing … and this episode is for you.
Now when I first started my journey to Live Lean over 10 years ago, I remember making this same mistake. I focused on eating foods low in fat, because eating fat must make you fat right?!?
That sweet tasty ingredient we all love called sugar doesn’t just cause cavities. It’s also highly addictive, even more so than cocaine, according to a study on rats I read. Even though the rats were turned into cocaine addicts, the rats still chose the sweet taste of sugar over cocaine.
I hate rats!
Here’s what happens in your body when you consume a bowl of sugary cereal…
1. Once the cereal makes contact with your tongue, an immediate release of endorphins that make you feel awesome occurs.
2. The sugar then enters your bloodstream very quickly.
3. Since only a minimal amount of sugar can be in the bloodstream at one time, insulin is released from the pancreas to remove the sugar, and stores some of it in the muscle and liver cells as glycogen.
4. Insulin also stimulates the release of a FAT STORING enzyme called LPL. LPL is a bad ass because he converts the excess sugar that has not been burned for immediate energy, or stored as glycogen, into STORED BODY FAT! Your glycogen storage levels are limited. So when they are full, the excess sugar spills over and has no where to go but be stored in your fat cells.
5. Lets not forget about the quick collapse of blood sugar, which triggers you to crave even more sugar to raise your blood sugar levels again. This is why you can never just eat a small handful of M&MS!
Too much sugar is a major cause of obesity and one of the main reasons why your abs are covered with a layer of stored body fat. It can cause diabetes and raises your bad cholesterol (LDL) and lowers your good cholesterol (HDL).
And don’t be fooled, sugar is described as many different things on food labels. It’s sometimes called sucrose (table sugar), dextrose, high fructose corn syrup, as well as many other names.
…and I promise you will experience an incredible feeling of health and vitality. Here’s how to do it:
#1. Employ the 5-gram rule:
Besides fruits and vegetables, only eat carbohydrates that contain more than 5 grams of fiber or less than 5 grams of sugar. If any sugar appears before the 5th ingredient on the food label, it means there is a lot of sugar in the food and you should avoid.
#2. Plan your sugar consumption AFTER your workout:
If you are going to have sugar, plan it so you consume it after your workout. When you workout, you create more room to be able to store the sugar as glycogen in the muscle and liver cells (not in the fat cells). You have to earn your sugar by working out like a beast!
#3. If you’re wondering what you should eat during your 14 day refined sugar-free vacation… click here as I have over 200 sugar free recipes in my Eat Clean Live Lean Cookbook. And don’t forget to pick up the 8 week meal plan as well. Take the guess work away and just execute on the plan people!
Click here to check out my Eat Clean Live Lean Cookbook for over 200 quick, healthy, easy, affordable, and delicious meals that are high in protein, low in fattening carbs, and higher in these super fats. You can also get access to an 8 week meal plan, with recipes, and grocery lists to supercharge your results faster.
It’s amazing the tasty snacks and meals you can come up with, using ALL READ HEALTHY INGREDIENTS!
I pity those “dieters” ruining their sustainable chances of Living Lean by eating boring foods.
– What is the #1 sugary food you love?
– Would you like me to try and “live lean-ify” a recipe for that sugary food?
Be sure to share your answers in the comment section below and share this post with your friends via the social media icons on the side or below.
Check out my FREE WORKOUT VIDEOS & PRINTABLE WORKOUTS, click: FREE WORKOUTS
Check out my FREE COOKING VIDEOS & RECIPES, click: FREE RECIPES
Also be sure to subscribe to my Live Lean TV YouTube Channel so you never miss a recipe or workout!
Brad Gouthro is the founder of Live Lean TV, a media company focused on helping men and women “Live Lean” 365 days a year. Brad’s programs and content have helped millions of people all over the world learn how to get in shape, and more importantly, sustain it for life.