4 Tough Treadmill Workouts When You’re Stuck Inside:
You guys know that I’m not a huge fan of the traditional treadmill as I prefer to do my cardio outdoors at a track or on a field.
Treadmill Workout #1: ALL OUT 30 second MAXIMAL Sprints:
How it works:
- Set the speed as high as you can handle with the incline on at least 1.0. If the max treadmill speed is still not fast enough, increase the incline until you max out.
- Complete 4 sets of 30 second all out MAXIMAL sprints. This means you are running as fast as you absolutely can.
- After 30 seconds, rest for a total of 4 minutes to allow your heart rate to drop and your body to properly recover so you can reach maximal intensity on your next sprint.
- Repeat for a total of 4 sets.
Total ALL OUT Treadmill workout duration: 14 minutes
How to progress the workout: the following week by increasing to 5 sets, then 6 sets the following week.
Treadmill Workout #2: SUBMAXIMAL 60 second High Intensity Sprints:
How it works:
Even though these sprints are still high intensity, they are not intended to hit your maximal threshold.
- Set the high intensity speed to a level that allows your heart rate to reach 80-90% of your maximum heart rate (MHR). Set the incline to at least 1.0.
- Complete 10 sets of 60 second all submaximal sprints, keeping your heart rate between 80-90% of MHR. This means you are running fast but not as fast as you possibly can, as in if you were running away from a saber tooth tiger.
- After 60 seconds, reduce the speed to a walking pace (I use 4.0) for the 60 second active rest portion of the treadmill workout. This should allow your heart rate to drop back down to approximately 60-70% of your MHR.
- Repeat for a total of 10 high intensity and 10 low intensity intervals.
Total SUBMAXIMAL treadmill workout duration: 20 minutes
How to progress the workout: Increase the work-to-rest ratio from 1:1 to 2:1 or 3:1. For example: 60 sec high intensity sprint, 30 second active rest. Or 60 sec high intensity sprint, 20 second active rest.
Treadmill Workout #3: PYRAMIDING DOWN 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m Sprints:
How it works:
- Start off by completing a 400 meter sprint. Rest. Then for your next sprint reduce the distance to 300 meters. Then 200 meters. Then 100 meters. From a mindset standpoint, following a pyramiding down approach can keep you motivated as the workout gets easier as you go.
- Even though these sprints are still high intensity, they are not intended to hit your maximal threshold. Set the high intensity speed to a level that allows your heart rate to reach 80-90% of your maximum heart rate (MHR). Set the incline to at least 1.0.
- Since your treadmill distance is probably measured in miles, use this meters to miles conversion to know when you hit you desired distance.
400 meters, rest 4 minutes.
300 meters, rest 3 minutes.
200 meters, rest 2 minutes.
100 meters, finished.
5. After you reached you distance, reduce the speed to a walking pace (I use 4.0) for the indicated active rest portion of the treadmill workout.
6. Complete 1 time.
Total PYRAMIDING DOWN treadmill workout duration: Approximately 12-13 minutes
How to progress the workout: Repeat for 1 more round.
Treadmill Workout #4: INCLINE WALKING LUNGES
How it works:
This is the only steady pace treadmill workout.
- Start off by setting the treadmill to a slower speed that allows you to properly complete a walking lunge. Increase the incline and test out the speed.
- Safety first. Choose a speed and incline that challenges you, but ensure you’re performing the lunge correctly by engaging the quads, glutes, hamstrings, and keeping your knee from tracking over your toes.
- Set the timer for 20 minutes and go.
- Take rest periods by stepping off the treadmill only when needed.
Total PYRAMIDING DOWN treadmill workout duration: 20 minutes
How to progress the workout: Increase the duration of the workout by adding 1 minute.
So there you go guys, there were 4 treadmill workouts that will kick your ass.
It’s time to turn up the intensity a notch on your workouts (but do it safely).
If you enjoyed today’s episode, make sure you subscribe as we upload new episodes every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
I love you guys and keep Living Lean.
Have You Downloaded our FREE New Ultimate Live Lean Starter Guide Yet?
If not, click here to go download it now. This guide takes away all the confusion with your diet and workouts as it gives you the exact meal plan, video cooking lessons, and grocery lists you need to Live Lean without being a slave in the kitchen. It also includes a FREE 4-week Hot Body Workout program.
This is the type of premium content our inner circle members at TeamLiveLean.com receive every single month.
So many of you have already download the starter guide for free and are loving the results. If you haven’t downloaded it yet, do it here.
Subscribe To My FREE Live Lean TV Health, Fitness, & Nutrition YouTube Channel For More Videos:
If you enjoyed today’s episode, make sure you subscribe to my Live Lean TV YouTube channel as we upload new episodes every Monday and Thursday.