A Live Lean TV viewer asked me how to cook spaghetti squash. So on today’s episode of Brad’s Cookbook, I take a typical meal… spaghetti and meatballs…and I healthify it with using higher quality ingredients.
We’re cooking Spaghetti Squash & Turkey Meatballs!
Here’s how the nutritional values compare…
A typical serving of pasta has approximately 300 calories and over 60 grams of carbohydrates.
Lets substitute that with spaghetti squash.
A typical serving of spaghetti squash has approximately 50 calories and under 8 grams of carbohydrates.
Here are the ingredients and instructions to make this healthy spaghetti squash and turkey meatballs alternative. I’ve also included the cooking video of me making them as well. See below and follow along with me.
– 1/2 lbs of lean ground turkey
– 1/4 of a full spaghetti squash
– 1 slice of sprouted whole grain bread (or replace bread with 1/2 cup of ground almonds)
– 1 tbsp of fresh cilantro
– a dash of red pepper flakes
– dash of pink himalayan salt and black pepper
– 2 fully sliced mushrooms
– 1/4 of diced red pepper
– handful of spinach
– 2 egg whites
– hot sauce (optional)
1. Slice spaghetti squash in half, submerge it face down in an inch full of water (in glass baking dish) and bake in oven on the highest heat for 20 mins.
2. Blend together bread (or ground almonds), cilantro, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and place it in a dish for your coating mixture.
3. Put 2 egg whites in another mixing dish.
4. Dice up red pepper and mushrooms and place in a third dish.
5. Create 4-5 golf ball sized turkey balls, mix in the veggie mix with the ball, coat with egg white, then roll it in the bread coating.
6. Cook turkey balls over medium heat in a frying pan coated with cooking spray for 8-10 mins or until cooked through.
7. Once the spaghetti is fully baked, remove seeds, and then use your fork to pull all the strings out to make the pasta like base.
8. Place any extra veggies on top along with the spinach.
9. Add your turkey balls once cooked through.
10. Top with Hot Sauce if you like it spicy!
Leave a comment below if you liked this Healthy Spaghetti Squash and Turkey Meatballs Recipe.
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out the Quinoa Energy Bar recipe.
Also be sure to subscribe to my Live Lean TV YouTube Channel so you never miss a recipe or workout!