Simple exercise to improve thoracic spine mobility and fix neck pain
Live Lean Nation, on today’s exercise demonstration, I’m showing you a video tutorial on how to do a simple exercise to improve your thoracic spine mobility and fix neck pain.
Targeted Muscles: Thoracic Spine Mobility (middle/upper back)
If you work at a desk all day, this is a simple exercise that can help fix neck pain by increasing the mobility of your thoracic spine.
To simplify the terminology, your spine is comprised of three regions:
- The lumbar spine is found in the lower back.
- The thoracic spine (t-spine) refers to the middle and upper back.
- The cervical spine is found in your neck.
Common indicators of thoracic spine mobility issues:
- your shoulders are typically starting to roll forward
- your back is rounded
- you may be experiencing lower back pain and/or neck pain
These issues are usually caused by sitting at a desk all day.
Remember, the human body was never intended to be in a seated position for extended periods of time.
This simple thoracic spine mobility exercise does not require any equipment.
You can also perform this quick mobility exercise at the office every few hours to help improve and fix neck pain.
How to do improve thoracic spine mobility:
Watch the exercise demonstration video.
To get started:
- Set your shoulders by first elevating, retracting, and pulling your shoulders back and down. This will position your chest up.
- Once your shoulders are in the set position, take a deep breath in and hold your breath as you feel the tension in your back melt away.
- Then breath out as you round your back, shoulders roll forward, and pressing your arms away from you. Think about forcing your back to reach the wall behind you.
- Hold this rounded position until you feel the tension in your middle and upper back ease up.
- Repeat the process by taking another deep breath in as you bring your shoulders and chest back to the set position.
- Breath out and round your back.
- Repeat for 3-4 reps, every few hours to help fix your posture and alleviate lower back and neck pain.
For more mobility workouts:
Check out our 7 day, follow along Live Lean Mobility 10 minute video workout program for more mobility workouts.
Simply click play and follow along with me.
Here’s a sample follow along mobility workout from the Live Lean Mobility program.
10 Minute Total Body Mobility Workout
READY TO BEGIN YOUR LIVE LEAN JOURNEY?
Start by taking our FREE Live Lean Body Quiz to get access to the best program specific to your goals!
Brad Gouthro is the founder of Live Lean TV, a media company focused on helping men and women “Live Lean” 365 days a year. Brad’s programs and content have helped millions of people all over the world learn how to get in shape, and more importantly, sustain it for life.